History of American Nutrition

welcome

This blog hopes to offer insight into American nutrition and the role health organizations have played in our perception of healthy eating and overall health.

Self Analysis


Its time for me to take a critical look at the progress made on my blog. I have to say that from the beginning of this project I have found myself against nearly all conventional nutritional wisdom. This might be because of the struggle with weight I had in middle school and high school. Several years back I was overweight and in about a year and a half I lost somewhere around 50 lbs. In my quest to lose weight I tried many different diets ranging from caloric restriction with incredibly low fat to eating 6 times a day with moderate intake of all nutrients. I can say from experience that restricting calories sucks. I craved food all of the time and my weight would shift dramatically throughout the week. Overall I lost weight, but my metabolism slowed down to a snail’s pace. This is the way the American Medical Association wants you to eat. No fat, tons of carbohydrates, and minimal protein. It is completely imbalanced. What I tried next was eating 6 times a day. The foods I ate were varied and I got a healthy amount of protein, fat, and carbs. My metabolism shot through the roof and at one point I felt as if I couldn’t stop losing weight no matter how much I ate. This experiment led me to the conclusion that maybe fat isn’t the devil. In high school I began reading all sorts of information about health and eating. Nothing substantial that I read came to the conclusion that people should be following the food pyramid; If anything, following the food pyramid would make people fat. The only documents that supported it were sketchy warnings that fad diets were dangerous and posed long term health problems. However, these documents never had any real evidence to prove their case (except against vegetarian, vegan, raw food, and fruititarian diets which have a substantial amount of evidence showing that they are unhealthy). I can definitely see how I could be a little biased in my approach to this subject. The food pyramid never worked to keep me healthy and I do not have any reason to believe that it works for anyone. However, I do not think that I have been unfair in any of my posts. If there is anything in my blog that doesn’t sit well with anyone please do not hesitate to ask questions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment