History of American Nutrition

welcome

This blog hopes to offer insight into American nutrition and the role health organizations have played in our perception of healthy eating and overall health.

Is the Department of Agriculture Evil?


I found out something new today. The Department of Agriculture spends the highest percentage of their budget on nutrition programs including the National School Lunch Program and the Food Stamps Program. At first glance I had blamed the poor quality of the Food Pyramid on lobbyists, however I have come to realize that this is not entirely true. The United States Department of Agriculture is not evil. After reading an interview by frontline, I believe that the department had good intentions but failed to implement a scientifically sound program that was healthy for Americans. The first food pyramid developed in 1991 was based off of already outdated science and the new My Pyramid is not much better. I have realized though that I needed to take into account that this organization is a political entity that has to deal with more factors than I can comprehend. They have to deal with lobbyists, politicians, scientists, environmentalists and many more -ists who are all trying to work their opinions into the final product. Because of this, the food pyramid is more like a compromise between all of these different entities. Unfortunately a compromise like this has caused Americans to model their diet off of a give-and-take symbol of Nutrition. This has also led me to believe that nutrition should be something settled between nutritionists and people. This would cut out the ridiculous amount of input contributed by companies like the Potato Board whose best interest is making potato farmers money.

0 comments:

Post a Comment